Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The Damage Done | Never Wash The Dead

The Damage Done was a californian Hardcore band created in early 2K. The singer of the band was Kyle, who created later the great record label Rivalry Records. You can check his blog Seeking The Simple, this is the best blog ever made about vinyl collection ! Really amazing !

So, The Damage Done released only four 7". Today we gonna talk about two of them : Never Wash Away and the Split Single shared with Day Of The Dead.


Never Wash Away was the second 7" of the band, next to the Demo. The record was technically released by Western Front Records, but in fact this is the first production of Rival(ry) Records. Kyle explained this situation on his blog :

"Western Front did not have the time or resources to put out the record at this time, and I did not really have a record label up and running. So we worked out a deal where I would pay for the pressing and they would help me with sending out mail order and getting into the small distribution channels.  In a way, I guess this was the first record I ever put out… I sometimes think of it as Rivalry #0 or Rivalry #-1 (negative).  In fact, when I started sending copies to Revelation, it needed a new catalog number, so I called it RIVAL000".

Two regular editions exist : Yellow out of 350 copies and Clear Blue out of 500 copies. Each colors got many variations, more or less dark, with or without swirl, ... Western Front was honest and doesn't split does things into many and many "different" colors (who said Bottled Up ?).

I got the Yellow one. The design is really cool and of course influenced by many bands like Champion, In My Eyes, ...


Then this is the alternative Pre-cover. After the record release show, the band still didn’t have the covers.  So, they made these cover just to sell at shows until they got the real covers. 

The Damage Done used the left-over Orange vinyl from the Record Release edition (but removed the “Record Release #/90″ portion of the stamp), as well as some Clear Blue copies when the orange ran out.


I got the Orange one, with blank stamped label. I love this color !

Despite the regular edition, this alternative edition came with an insert.


The rest of the pressing was : Test Press (15 copies), Orange with (amazing Jaws) Record Release cover (90 copies), and Clear Blue (500 copies).

The second thing we gonna talk about today is the Split Single between The Damage Done and the portuguese band Day Of The Dead released by Goodwill Records.

You may know Day Of The Dead because they also shared a Split Single with Ruiner few years ago. I talked about that a few times on my blog.

Goodwill is a great european record label. They do an amazing job and it's always a pleasure to deal with them. Anytime I ordered some records, they always gave me some extra CD's and cool stuff.

Goodwill Records had a specifity : they handnumbered every record (exept the Test Press) without considering color variation or press number. So, this split was handnumbered out of 1560 copies including : 1 Red / Black, 49 Red, 50 Red with alternative cover, 1000 Black from the first press (handnumbered with white ink) and 460 Black from the second press (handnumbered with silver ink).

First, I got the Fucked Up & Photocopied Cover specialy made for the mailorder edition. They used the Red vinyl from the first press and made an ugly alternative cover. Yeark !


This edition is out of 50 copies handnumbered on the cover. I got the n° 4.

But, like I said, every copy is handnumbered. So, I also got the n° 054 on the regular cover inside the alternative cover.


Then, I got the Test Press out of 10 copies on Black vinyl without label. Like every Goodwill's release, each Test Press got the regular cover. Too bad.


This is also the only stuff who doesn't handnumbered. They wrote "Test Press" in remplacement.


Some people got a Test Press who was hand written on the label. Mine is blank.

And to finish, I got a Black copy from the second press, out of 460. The difference between the Black copy from the first press and the Black copy from the second press is the color of the ink used to handnumbered the record : white for each edition of the first press and silver for the only edition of the second.


I got the n° 1506 ! Yeah, 1506 out of 460. Like I said, each copy is numbered out of the entire press, so 1560.


The regular cover is very neat ! You can open it in three parts.


Credits and lyrics are inside.

1 comment:

  1. Thanx for the thorough review of this record. It was a pleasure reading about it. I wouldn't have done a better job. Thumbs up! Adam / www.goodwillrecords.net

    ReplyDelete